In Loving Memory of Pete Seeger!

Dear Friends,

The news of Pete Seeger's passing at the age of 94 on January 27th triggered many thoughts and conservations here at EventWorks. Everyone has wonderful memories related to some of the most powerful songs of our days. What a life! We all know what a song can do to move, motivate, stimulate, encourage and heal.
He was a man who never lost sight of his convictions - starting with his support of American involvement in the Second World War to fight Hitler, spanning decades of the Civil Rights Movement and ending with Occupy Wall Street!
Whether you agreed with his politics or not, you cannot deny the enduring power of "Turn, Turn, Turn", "If I Had A Hammer" and "We Shall Overcome".



"Music is my life. My livelihood comes from playing it, creating it and writing about it… it has always been my greatest love affair, my muse, my best friend, my healer and I think it is so because so much of it gives us immediate direct access to harmony.
Pete Seeger knew intrinsically the great power of music in the form of a uniquely authentic deeply personal connection to it through the use of song and songwriting. Often I used to not know the words to songs mainly because I was too busy feeling the sheer force of the music itself, but Pete Seeger and the advent of Folk music and the singer-songwriter movement changed that for me, and for much of the world by showing us that one individual can make a difference with something as simple, yet extraordinarily effective, as a song. I thank you Pete Seeger. May the rest of your journey be as sweet as your music!"  DJ Matt Cornwall


I cannot imagine my life without this soundtrack of American Folk Music. It's power has endured for decades and so many moments in our lives are linked to Pete Seeger's songs.

I am thankful for the music he leaves behind.
I was reminded of so many event memories involving powerful music this week!

Janet



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site Report from The Fabulous Forum in Inglewood

Inspiration: The Red Line and Elements - Art Projects by Doron Gazit

Our Floral Designer Rebecca Motus featured on ABC's The Bachelor on Valentine's Day