Meet JDivine, Clean Rapper, Hard Working Millennial




While we are on the subject of millennials:
Thank you for all your feedback last week!
We agree: there are positives!
One example:
Meet Rapper JDivine, aka Josh Sunwall.
Student and young rapper, very hard at work to launch his musical career.

We met JDivine recently when he presented us with a smart, clean, clever rap song, custom-written specifically for the opening sequence of an annual sales conference. We were intrigued and checked him out more thoroughly. It is a pleasure to present, Live from Fayetteville, Arkansas: Josh Sunwall - Rapper JDivine.

Josh hails from a musical family.

Josh: "My father Kaleb and my grandmother are both great piano players. My father also writes songs. Apparently even my great grandmother was a passionate musician. However, they did not pursue music as a career. I don't play any instruments very well but I started writing lyrics at a very young age.
When I first started writing, I was writing poetry, which wasn't something many young boys took pride in. I would write in a notebook and not really share it with anybody. I spent some of my spare time going through my dad's old CD binders listening to all the songs he once played at parties and ceremonies. I stumbled upon the rap/hip-hop section of his binders and found myself constantly listening to artists like Nelly, Ludacris, Andre 3000 (with OutKast), Nas, and Eminem. Although these possibly weren't the best influences on a young kid, I heard how all these artists could portray a story of their lives and articulate their feelings in collaboration with this rhythm; it was the perfect match!
Nowadays I process my life experiences in music. Music is the medium for what I want to say. There is one constant, I stay away from cussing and negativity. I grew up in the Trinity Assembly of God Church and I hope to inspire listeners. I am not a Christian Rapper but I want my raps to reflect who I am. I want to stay true to my values and myself.
My recent video is based on a personal experience. I wrote Stuck on You because I experienced a heartbreak. The song paints a picture of my soul at the time."



Josh has the support of his family.
His father Kaleb Sunwall:
"Josh had a passion for music, specifically rap, at an early age.  At the age of 11 or 12, he was writing lyrics and raps routinely; it seemed like daily!  I think it was on his 13th birthday that I bought him a microphone and music software for his computer. Within a few short weeks, he compiled his first song. It wasn’t long and he was collaborating with friends, he studied his favorite rappers like Drake, and began to mimic and learn from their talent. Over time, Josh has refined his lyrics and musical insights into some great music….and his passion for the art of rap is heard in his choice of words, themes, convictions, and behaviors.  What I am most proud of is Josh continuing to strive for higher ground…always working to perfect a verse or chorus, and his conviction to not be so “mainstream” makes me smile.  The absence of profanity and demeaning lyrics in his music is noticeable, and for me, a refreshing take on the rap scene.  While a few of his friends in his collaboration over the years haven't stuck to the same principles, I do believe Josh’s conviction to be who he is, and not someone else, is a light in a dark place. Josh’s take on “Pound Cake” is one of his strongest performances in his lyrics and challenge to the rap mainstream, as you get inside his head and heart to hear the real passion in his lyrics. I’ve been a musician for the majority of my life, albeit not a rapper, but I pray Josh continues to pursue his dreams and personal goals to share his music with the world."                      


Thanks to social media platforms like YouTube, Facebook and SoundCloud, Josh is well on his way! Not quite 22 and pursuing a Bachelor Degree with a Major in Marketing and a Minor in Management, Josh is that new breed of artist who has a clear vision of what he wishes to achieve and gets the education necessary to take charge of his destiny. Gone are the days of Sex and Drugs and Rock'n Roll. In 2016, it is all about focus on and control over his chosen path.
"I really want to perform live, keep recording and use my business and marketing education to run a music business and recording studio, not just for myself but others as well".

Josh is available for corporate events as a lyricist for customized, energizing raps as well as a performer. We are happy to bring him to your event!

Wishing you a fabulous week!
Janet                         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site Report from The Fabulous Forum in Inglewood

Inspiration: The Red Line and Elements - Art Projects by Doron Gazit

Our Floral Designer Rebecca Motus featured on ABC's The Bachelor on Valentine's Day