EW: 7 Things To Know About Our Art Director JORDAN VALDEZ


Pleased to present:
Jordan Valdez and The Moz

EW: Jordan, please describe your role at EW:

Jordan: "My role with EventWorks is that of Art Director & Brand Strategist. I work with each client to ensure that their brand guidelines are being adhered to while simultaneously trying to take them to new heights through creative applications. So much of what I do is digesting our client's company goals and messaging points for their events so that Kate Brack, our Creative Director, and I can come up with imaginative ways to organically work in those points throughout the décor and experience. I am a firm believer that every touchpoint is a communication opportunity and every communication opportunity is a chance to surprise and wow.

EW: What is your background?

Jordan: "I have been “making things pretty” since I could hold a crayon in my fat little hand. As a kid, all I ever wanted to do was create and that passion never ebbed. I have a tattoo on my wrist that says “create everyday” and that is the first line I write in my agenda each day. That one-tract goal brought me to LA where at the age of 25 I secured a position as an assistant at a tech start-up as its first employee. Over a six year period I helped to grow that company to a staff of over 50 and I grew along with it: Graphic Designer to Jr. Art Director to Art Director. Since then I have worked both in-house as well as contractor as a Creative and/or Art Director for several companies.

EW: What is your path as an artist? 

Jordan: "It is something I say often, I just want to make things pretty."

EW: What inspires you?

Jordan: "I have made it a goal in my life to surround myself with value creating people and fellow artists. I have designed my home with things made by my group of rebels. My kitchen table was made by Drew. My favorite chair by Sabin. My walls have are covered in art created by my loved ones including a piece by my partner, Michael and a gorgeous oil painting by my mother. I have a wine rack that holds wines made from three different friends. People inspire me and have have built a home around that inspiration!

EW: Do you have time to create personal art? 

Jordan: "I have a lot of art in me. Not only do I work full-time, I also paint at least one portrait a week. My last series was of women in film and I am currently working on a series of music icons."


EW: What other passions do you have?

Jordan: "I am passionate about health and fitness — especially running. I run between 25 and 30 miles a week and I spend an additional 6 or so hours a week in the gym. I also have a partner who is the most generous and kind human being I have ever met and he gets me to climb out of my shell and try new things. In addition to that, I have a dog, whom I spend nearly all of my time with. She is my shadow. I also read A LOT — 1 to 2 books a week.

EW: Are there special milestones in your life yet?

Jordan: "Humm… Not really; it is all milestones when you think about it. I moved to LA without ever having been here. I didn’t know anybody and I only had $1,700. Now I have a beautiful home, wonderful friends, a perfect partner, a sweet dog and, get this, I get PAID to make things pretty."


We wish we all had his level of happy, creative energy. And no, it's not miracles. It's hard work, long hours and lots of dedication.

Wishing you all a fabulous week

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site Report from The Fabulous Forum in Inglewood

Inspiration: The Red Line and Elements - Art Projects by Doron Gazit

Site Report From A Land Not Far Away: Terranea Resort